Sunday, January 13, 2008
Hey guys! I have had a few questions asked about the Pillowcase Challenge so I will try to answer them here. If you have more questions feel free to post them in the comments section and I will update this post with answers as they come in. And feel free to take a button!
1. Hey girls! How many entries can you submit?
I say, the more the merrier! If you have more than one great idea and would like to submit more than one entry, that is fine. As a judge I would recommend that the entires be unique from one another (don't submit two of the same type of item).
2. One more question--can you use something in addition to the pillowcase? Like more fabric/notions?
You may use notions (buttons, zippers, embroidery floss, tags, ric rac, ribbon, seambinding...). The challenge here is to make something entirely out of a vintage pillowcase. You do not need to use the whole pillowcase, but your whole item should be made up of the pillowcase.
3. I was also wondering about additional materials. Is it okay to use additional fabric besides the pillowcase?
As long as it came off of your vintage pillowcase, it can be used! Time to stretch your creative muscles here! (psst! I have a few vintage pillowcases that have more than one fabric pattern in them, so those are totally fair game!)
4. I am unclear as to what you mean by "vintage". To me vintage fabrics are 40's and 50's but you might mean 80' and 90's. Or perhaps you just me a thrifted pillow case as opposed to a newer one. Also can you use other materials, such as zippers, rick rack etc, do they have to be thrifted or vintage as well.
I think of things from the 40s-70s - big range, I know! Thrifted is probably more important, since it's hard to tell the dates on vintage fabrics. Any notions you use can be new, but certainly if you have vintage, that is fine, too!
Remember, ask me anything! If you aren't sure about something shoot me an email or ask in the comments section and I will let you know.
Posted by Claire at 8:09 PM
Monday, January 7, 2008
*It has been brought to my attention that doing a quality tutorial in just a month really isn't enough time. My gut was telling me the same thing, so when Missy mentioned it to me I decided to change it. Just send in pics of your project and a short write up of what it is by February 15th and you'll be good to go!
I am very excited to announce our first ever Handmade Parade Vintage Pillowcase Challenge! Begining January 15th through February 15th we will be accepting submissions for items made with a standard size (not king) vintage pillowcase. The prize for the best entry will be awarded a $50 gift certificate to Sew, Mama, Sew, Reprodepot or Superbuzzy and will be featured on this blog.
Each entry will be judged by a panel of amazingly talented judges (the list of whom will be posted as we get closer to the 15th) who will be looking for the most creative and fabulous entry.
Rules (Blah Blah Blah)
1. Submissions must be received no later than February 15th and no earlier than January 15th.
2. You can only use one standard sized pillowcase (not king) and it should be a vintage piece.
3. Please email your entries to email@example.com
Thanks! I hope everyone is really excited about this and I cannot wait to see what everyone makes!