Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Fast, Easy Recipe - and Healthy, Too!

It's Sunday evening and I'm sitting here in my new Christmas flannel pj bottoms and pink fuzzy socks. I know. Super-duper sexy. After dealing with a week long of the icky flu, I think I deserve some sweet and fuzzy time. Don't think I didn't spend my sick time wisely, though. I did go in to work and I also spent a good chunk of quality time playing online Tetris.

If you feel like you're short on time and high on being-sick-of-that-backfat-roll-which-keeps-creeping-up-on-you, this is a great recipe to trim the calories but still keep the taste (shocking thought, ain't it?). It's also speedy. So you can be lazy AND calorie-conscious at the same time.

Farfalle with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
1 pound uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
1 tablespoon butter
12 ounces presliced exotic mushroom blend
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, shallots, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 12 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Add the cooked pasta, whipping cream, cheese, and 2 tablespoons parsley, tossing gently to coat. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Garnish with minced fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)