Monday, March 12, 2007

Meet Melody!


Melody of Handmade Luck is our next profiled crafter. We are so excited to have her as part of our Handmade Parade Spring Fling!


***


Why I craft?
It’s a necessity to sanity. When I find a few minutes when I’m not doing anything, I need to do something. My grandmother used to say that I had busy hands, but for some reason she stopped saying that when I became a teenager (maybe she didn’t want to give me any ideas). I’ve always been into creating and fixing things. I remember making homemade eye shadow when I was eleven out of crushed up mica and blue chalk. I also used to take jewelry that was given to me and swap parts and create new stuff that I liked better.
When I was twenty-one, I realized that they sold beads in stores, so I started beading basic stuff and giving them away as gifts. Beading got lost along the way, as well as the rest of my free time. When I wasn’t mothering my son, I was busy working two jobs or going to school to finish my degree. It wasn’t until after I graduated and was at home with my daughter that I found, when she was napping, some free time. Since jewelry making had always been a passion, I took it back up as quickly as I set it down, and I haven’t stopped since. I also like getting my hands dirty, so decoupage was a natural selection for me. I make coasters and magic boxes that invoke frivolity and capriciousness, something of which this world definitely needs more.


***


You can find Melody's work at her etsy shop, Handmade Luck and a profile at Sacramento Craft Mafia.